Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine Movie Meme

OK, so for Valentine’s Day, I’m jumping on the Valentine Movie Meme bandwagon. Mostly because I have nothing mushy to profess and because my other option was to share my worst date ever. So even though I am not really a movie person (I like movies, but they don’t stick with me like books do), here I go…


1. What is your favorite romantic comedy?

I’d say either When Harry Met Sally or Sleepless in Seattle


2. What is your favorite romantic drama?

I’m not one to rush to romantic movies in general – romantic comedies are a little more likely because of the comedy part, so I can’t really pick one.


3. Worst romance film you've seen?

I don’t know – maybe that one with the asteroid & Ben Affleck? I kind of dislike Ben Affleck. And world-is-going-to-end movies just piss me off.


4. How do you feel about the majority of romantic films being labeled "chick flicks"?

I don’t care what you call them – if I like them, I like them. Call them Harold for all I care.


5. Favorite on-screen couple?

Meg Ryan & Tom Hanks in Sleepless in Seattle. No – Ron & Hermione!


6. Favorite off-screen couple?

Jessica Tandy & Hume Cronyn – they were lovely.


7. Best kiss in a movie?

Rhett & Scarlett in Gone With the Wind. Or Ron & Hermoine in Deathly Hallows. Or Westley & Buttercup in The Princess Bride. Or Milton & Karen in From Here to Eternity. NO! LADY & THE TRAMP!!


8. Favorite romantic scene?

Oh man – this would be the scene in The Horse Whisperer when Robert Redford and Kristin Scott Thomas were dancing. They were in love, but she was married. And her husband was sitting across the room. For some reason, that scene – though kind of sad, and not particularly sexy – is one of the most gut-wrenching, yet romantic and sensual scenes ever to me.


9. Who are 2 film characters you wished had gotten together, but never did?

I don’t know – I tend to accept whatever the movie is, without becoming particularly invested. Maybe Brad Pitt & Julia Ormond from Legends of the Fall, but I liked him with Karina Lombard, too, so…


10. Two actors you think would have great chemistry, but have never done a film together?

Me and Tom Selleck. Except for the part where he’d start talking his right wing crap and I’d be forced to silence him using magic. Or a sword. Fine - I'm not an actor. Whatever.


11. Favorite romantic song in a film (doesn't have to be from a musical)?

Either To Make You Feel My Love, from Hope Floats or A Soft Place to Fall from The Horse Whisperer (the scene I mentioned previously)


12. Best score from a romance film?

Beauty and the Beast. Shut up.


13. Most romantic film quote?

My second favorite would be the one from When Harry Met Sally:

“I love that you get cold when it’s 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle in your nose when you’re looking at me like I’m nuts. I love that after I spend day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it’s not because I’m lonely, and it’s not because it’s New Year’s Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.”


But my all-time favorite would be from The Jerk:

“The first day seemed like a week. And the second day seemed like five days. And the third day seemed like a week again. And the fourth day seemed like eight days. But the fifth day you went to see your mother, and that seemed just like a day. But then you came back, and later on the sixth day, in the evening, when we saw each other, that started seeming like two days. So in the evening, it seemed like two days spilling into the next day and that started seeming like four days. So, at the end of the sixth day on into the seventh day, it seemed like a total of five days. And the sixth day seemed like a week and a half. I have it written down, but I can show it to you tomorrow if you want to see it. Anyway, I've decided that tomorrow when the time is right, I'm going to ask you to marry me. If that's okay with you, just don't say anything.”


14. A film you'd recommend to watch on Valentine's Day?

Any of the above.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Oh I'm so glad I'm not the only one who didn't go mushy on Valentine's Day. In fact, ummm I completely ignored it altogether. Go fig.

Now I need to go watch some movies I haven't seen in way too long!