Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Winner and a Cool New Prize

I know, I’m late getting this up, but I was wrapped up all weekend with baby shower stuff. Friday I spent the night finishing it up and all day Saturday was spent either getting ready for the shower, setting up for it, actually having it, cleaning up or schlepping gifts back the her house. So this is the first chance I had. Plus I tried to do it earlier, but my mouse died and I am passionately anti-touchpad. I love that tiny mouse.

Aaaaaanyway…After adding extra “dummy” for those who left asshole stories, the randomizer tells me that hockamama is the winner:

So hockamama, email me your info at sugarmag(at)live(dot)com, and I will get your prize out this week. Yay!

And there’s still time to enter the girly, valentiney, pink-type giveaway.


******************

Now on to the next prize. This one is - I think – really awesome, but there’s a catch.

There are certain movies and TV shows that, if I come across them, I have to watch, no matter how many times I have seen them or at what point in the program I happen to come along.

As for movies, they include Dirty Dancing, Steel Magnolias (though I sometimes turn it off just before the sad stuff), Turner and Hooch (because I love that damned dog), Dances with Wolves, Gettysburg (which isn;’t something I come across often since I may be the only fan), the Lord of the Rings movies, the Harry Potter movies, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and The Jerk (I know we've only known each other four weeks and three days, but to me it seems like nine weeks and five days. The first day seemed like a week and the second day seemed like five days. And the third day seemed like a week again and the fourth day seemed like eight days. And the fifth day you went to see your mother and that seemed just like a day, and then you came back and later on the sixth day, in the evening, when we saw each other, that started seeming like two days, so in the evening it seemed like two days spilling over into the next day and that started seeming like four days, so at the end of the sixth day on into the seventh day, it seemed like a total of five days. And the sixth day seemed like a week and a half. I have it written down, but I can show it to you tomorrow if you want to see it.)

There aren’t as many TV shows, but there are a few. Like The Office. Or It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I’m a little ashamed to admit that I often can’t resist cracking myself up over Beverly Hills 90210 (the original, of course). Butt he the TV programs I am most addicted to are more educational. The first is Ken Burns’ Civil War. When that originally aired, I was glued to the TV for a week straight, getting lost in the stories and the photos and the haunting music of the era. I cried hearing the Gettysburg address read so eloquently by Sam Waterston and the incredibly beautiful letter written by Major Sullivan Ballou to his wife had me practically in pieces by “ and if there be a soft breeze upon your cheek, it shall be my breath; or the cool air fans your throbbing temple, it shall be my spirit passing by.” Now that I find myself thinking about it, I want to watch it yet again. I must own this DVD set soon.

The other program I am unable to resist is Planet Earth. In case you have been living I a cave for the last year or so and haven’t heard of it, Planet Earth is an 11 part series on the Discovery Channel, that is about… well…Planet Earth. Everything from mountains and oceans and deserts and glaciers. It covers just about every part of the planet and the plants and animals that live in them. The cinematography is breathtaking, and I find myself disappointed when each episode is over. I can watch them over and over again.

So imagine my excitement when I ended up with the DVD set at a holiday gift exchange. And then imagine my disappointment when I discovered that it was on HD. Because I can’t play HD DVDs. Because I am technologically challenged (I mean, dude – a dead mouse threw me off for hours today). And due to some strange circumstances, it couldn’t be exchanged (no – it wasn’t stolen).

So – if you have an HD DVD player (or know someone else who does) and would like to have this awesome series, just leave me a comment and tell me what movies or TV shows you can’t click past.

I’ll keep it open until Wednesday.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Chris said...

WTG Hockamama (LOL Why was that so hard to type?)

I have the same addiction to Turner & Hooch (btw, it was on last weekend) And it makes me cry every single time. Why I do that to myself I just don't know. Another movie I always stop at is Just Like Heaven. Again, I cry every time!

There are also a couple movies that I hurry and scan past before hubby sees them!! Smokey & The Bandit, Rocky, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Once was more than enough for me on those!! Kinda funny how they all have 20 sequels each.

Shelly- Mom Files said...

I have to admit, my hubby and I are addicted to Planet Earth on HD. So awesome!!

meno said...

The Princess Bride stops me in my tracks every time.